traditional ring binders vs. Rollabind and Levenger

I have been using Franklin planners for a few years - tried various sizes. I recently discovered Rollabind and Levenger products thanks to this site... I really, really like the ability to move pages around fairly hassle free and that the different sizes are interchangeable (you can use a punched 3x5 card in a letter size notebook).

What I don't like is when I move pages around, it always feels like I'm going to rip the T-shape - the wings or whatever you call them. I don't know if it is because I have the $8 notebook I got from Staples or if I'm just not used to it yet.

My ideal solution would be a binder similar to a Franklin planner with the rings equal distance apart so I could use different size pages in different planners. I'd like having a letter sized notebook with todo lists and a bunch of reference info at my desk, "classic" sized calendar and address book to carry with me on work days, and quickie pocket sized notebook to shove in my pocket the rest of the time.

Is there such a system or is everyone on the same standard (maybe different names) as the Franklin Covey type letter size, classic size, other smaller size scheme where nothing is compatible? Shoot, it is looking like the best bet may be to get a hole punch with movable parts and really make my own planner.

I hope this question makes sense...

Syndicate content

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

The punched holes on the

The punched holes on the Circa are also equal distance apart. You can put different size papers in the same Circa notebook.

Not sure if this is what you're asking about.



I have never seen a ring binder system with equidistant multiple rings.

With the rolla/circa, you need good paper to get the best out of it. The paper in the Staples notebook is not really good paper.

I use 24lb paper I bought from Staples (the brightest I could get), and it holds up very well in the rolla rings. I move my pages around occasionally, and I haven't had any trouble with it.

There is a technique, though, to removing a page. It's kind of a zipper thing. Start at the top of the page and pull the paper up at a sharp angle. Do one ring at a time, the tabs should slip off without being destroyed. Putting them back on the next set of rings is the tricky bit, but there's a technique to that too. When I have papers that want to crease instead of bend, I go one ring at a time and wiggle the ring around a little to help me get it in. I don't generally have to do this on my 24lb paper, it flexes before it creases.


Is this what you mean about

Is this what you mean about equidistant multiple rings?

Equidistant rings


The original poster is talking about the clamp-style metal rings (a la 3-ring binder or Covey binder), but equally spaced like circa/rolla rings so you get the same 'interchangeability' you have with circa/rolla.

I have never seen a system like that. Covey's seven rings are clustered, not equidistant. The six rings in the smaller versions might be equidistant, but there's no larger system with the same spacing...



That's exactly what I was asking and exactly the answer I was afraid of. I find that the letter size planner is big enough that I don't like to carry it around, but the Classic size seems to be the best balance of enough space to write and still small enough to bring it along.

Looks like if I want to get everything in one place, I'll either have to get everything in Classic size or plan on getting a better Rollabind or Circa system. Thanks for answering my questions everyone.

Related, but probably irrelevant…

The two holes of the index card binders made by Oxford (LINK) are spaced the same as the standard three holes for US Letter paper (8.5 by 11)

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Look at photo portfolios

I think what you're wanting is like what is found in portfolios for photos. Here's a pic:

Art Portfolio