Custom circa pocket -- instructions

Under another topic, someone expressed interest in learning how I created just the pocket I needed for a Circa junior foldover notebook. I've had so much fun creating it, photographing it, and setting up a Flickr account for it that I thought I'd share the instructions more broadly by posting them under a new topic.

The task was to create a pocket that would
1. be sturdy
2. hold letter-size pages folded in half (i.e., 8 ½" x 5 ½" sheets)
3. hold at least several sheets
4. not look too cheap or thrown together.

I was using the Levenger plastic covers, under which I had put sheets made of a purple folder trimmed down to the size of the Levenger (actually Rollabind) pages (5 ½" x 8 ¼"). So I made the pocket out of another purple folder to match. By putting the pocket between the back inside and outside covers, you still have a flat writing surface when writing on the right-hand page.

It's really quite simple: pictures and instructions.
(Don't view with slideshow -- the captions won't appear.)

Syndicate content

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Looks nice

Hi.

It looks like you could do the same thing, starting with, say, a manila envelope or tyvek envelope, and skip the taping step. What do you think?

Of course, you'd have to hunt a little to find an *attractive* envelope to start with, but there must be some out there...

shris

envelopes

Yes, I started with envelopes, but you nailed the problem -- attractiveness. You could, as you said, use a manila envelope and cut from the lower right corner, so the bottom and side are already sealed, which I think is what you meant, but I wanted something a little nicer. And unless you can find an attractive envelope that's exactly the right width, and good luck with that, you have to trim it down. And once you do that, the pocket becomes asymmetrical. It would work, but I wanted something more pleasing to the eye.

By the way, shris, I sent you a direct email a few days ago about the beautiful decorative papers you use on your notebooks (saw them on flickr). Did you get it?

email astray

Hi notebklover..

I sure didn't get your email.

Give it another try, I'll watch for it. Sometimes when there's a lot of spam cluttering my box it's hard to spot the false positives.

shris

Another possibility..

Hi.

If you can't find the manila folder in an attractive color/pattern, you could cut the back piece of your folder longer than the front piece, then fold the flap over and glue it.

Then you could use any pretty, tough paper.

Most of the papers I used on my notebooks are from handmade-papers.us. The white striped/ribbed paper came from GPC papers, but you might be able to get it or something like it from your local print shop, since it's a regular commercial cardstock.

shris

Thank you!

This is exactly what I needed. I can't wait to get home from work and make a couple of folders. Visual much appreciated, too!

Mary Ann

My pleasure!

I know it's easy, but please let me know how it goes!

I did it!

When I got home last night, I pulled out my materials and made two: dark green and bright green. I was worried they'd make my circa too lumpy, but you're absolutely right: putting the folder between the inside cover and the plastic cover keeps everything in place.

Thanks, again, for taking time to do the tutorial!

Mary Ann

Very nice!

And I love the attention to detail that you put into it. It is much easier than my folded (and cut and glued) A4 sheet. :-) Although you could complicate your plan a tiny bit more, by making it about 1/2" wider (1.5cm) and cutting off the front or back, and folding over the side that remains, and use it as a tab, and glue it inside the thing. A bit more durable than tape, but not as attractively simple. :-) (and the tab causes its own problems...)

-Jon

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback! Btrgrnmal, I'm really glad it worked for you. And jonglass, attention to detail is my middle name. Sort of a blessing and a curse. I fear the amount of fun I had on this project borders on the pathological . . .